Since we've been talking about health care in light of the recent Canadian Supreme Court decision, here is Paul Krugman's recent column about the state of the US non-system. Harry Truman tried to create a national health insurance system. Public opinion was initially on his side: Jill Quadagno's book "One Nation, Uninsured" tells us that in 1945, 75 percent of Americans favored national health insurance. If Truman had succeeded, universal coverage for everyone, not just the elderly, would today be an accepted part of the social contract. But Truman failed. Special interests, especially the American Medical Association and Southern politicians who feared that national insurance would lead to racially integrated hospitals, triumphed. Sixty years later, the patchwork system that evolved in the absence of national health insurance is unraveling. The cost of health care is exploding, the number of uninsured is growing, and corporations that still provide employee co...
Hey L-Girl
ReplyDeleteI'm here!! I have been crazy busy lately and haven't gotten around to registering.
So sorry to hear about B.
I just brought my old gal to vet yesterday and they tell me she is starting to go blind and now has arthritis in her front leg. It seems like yesterday I picked her out of the litter... their time with us is just way too short.
Take Care
Hey ALPF!! I'm really glad you're still here. I'd hate to lose such a prominent member of the wmtc community. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your condolences. I'm sorry to hear your pup is having some troubles. I know just what you mean, it goes so fast.
Thanks for checking in. :)