It's interesting the issues this can raise. Here in Ontario, there's a cartoonist named Lynn Johnson who's been writing and drawing the successful family strip For Better or Worse for about 25 years now. I saw an interview with her some time ago in which she commented on the cultural pressures she's come under from certain quarters in the US. Early on, there was a lot of suggestion that the strip should be situated in the US, rather than Canada, and that she should adopt US spellings rather than Canadian ones... color for colour, check for cheque, tennis racket for tennis racquet, and so on. To her credit, she stood her ground and resisted these. The cultural differences and assumptions have led to some contention, too. A lot of papers in conservative communities in the US dropped the strip when she revealed that one of the characters, Lawrence, was gay. And she was surprised by a number of letters she got objecting to the imperialism implicit in sending Michael to school in London. Of course, what those complaining didn't realize was that she was sending Michael to London, Ontario, to the University of Western Ontario. It's not an impossible mistake to make (Archie Bunker on All In the Family lost his Christmas bonus one year by shipping an order to London, England... "who the hell ever heard of London, Ontario?" he groaned), it does reveal an interesting set of assumptions about Canadians held by some people in the States.
"The cultural differences and assumptions have led to some contention, too. A lot of papers in conservative communities in the US dropped the strip when she revealed that one of the characters, Lawrence, was gay."
Amazing the state of denial these people live in. If we don't talk about them, they won't exist...
"it does reveal an interesting set of assumptions about Canadians held by some people in the States."
Well yes, but... fame. London England is rather more well known than London Ontario - the world over, not just among Americans.
There's a Brooklyn, Kansas, but if I write about Brooklyn, I don't need to say Brooklyn, New York.
There are differences between Canadian and Brit English. Canadian is something of a fusion of American and British. We say aluminum, rather than aluminium. Also, words like cheque and check or program and programme are used pretty interchageably. The biggest differences with US English spellings are, of course, the `u` in colour, harbour or valour and the rather recent switch from `er` to `re` in words like theatre, centre and metre. Personally, I don't care for the latter. They are French spellings of words that are pronounced differently in English and should rightfully be spelled differently.
Then it'll be a little easier. Coincidentally, I already use the spelling "theatre" - when I in theatre, it was an affectation we all used, and it stuck. Like putting the line through my 7s.
Thanks to ALPF, I have learned that another American war resister is seeking asylum in Canada. I am so out of the loop, lost as I am in the ancient world . Good thing you guys keep me informed. US Army Pvt. Brandon Hughey, 20, told the [Canadian] Immigration and Refugee Board that he refused "to kill people or lose my life under false pretenses." Hughey said he believed the war in Iraq was illegal and his conscience obliged him to desert his Ft. Hood, Texas army base last year. He said when he joined the military at 17 he was looking for a way to put himself through college and respected the military. "I believe some things are worth fighting for, like defending my home and my family," Hughey told the board. "I had no moral objection to fighting back then. In some circumstances, war can be justified." He believed US President George W. Bush had proof that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, so he initially supported the war. But he later deter...
Not everyone thinks the Conservative government is a lock. Canada's opposition Conservative Party, which is set to bring down the minority Liberal government later this week, was hit by a new opinion poll on Monday that showed it was trailing in the country's most vote-rich region. The Leger Marketing poll for the Sun chain of newspapers put support for the Liberals in the powerful central province of Ontario at 43 percent compared with 31 percent for the Conservatives. Ontario, a Liberal stronghold at the federal level for the past 12 years, accounts for 106 of the 308 seats in House of Commons, and no party can hope to form a government without doing well there. . . . Prime Minister Paul Martin's Liberals have been badly hurt by a corruption scandal and Conservative leader Stephen Harper says the government must be defeated as soon as possible. The Leger figures, however, suggest there is no guarantee Harper can end 12 years of Liberal rule. Thanks, ALPF! I must say, I...
Since we've been talking about health care in light of the recent Canadian Supreme Court decision, here is Paul Krugman's recent column about the state of the US non-system. Harry Truman tried to create a national health insurance system. Public opinion was initially on his side: Jill Quadagno's book "One Nation, Uninsured" tells us that in 1945, 75 percent of Americans favored national health insurance. If Truman had succeeded, universal coverage for everyone, not just the elderly, would today be an accepted part of the social contract. But Truman failed. Special interests, especially the American Medical Association and Southern politicians who feared that national insurance would lead to racially integrated hospitals, triumphed. Sixty years later, the patchwork system that evolved in the absence of national health insurance is unraveling. The cost of health care is exploding, the number of uninsured is growing, and corporations that still provide employee co...
I think you mean labour
ReplyDeleteIt's not going to be easy, re-learning to spell...
ReplyDeleteFor the most part american spellings have become acceptable in Canada, except for some purists...
ReplyDeleteThe only one that I really hold onto is colour.
I generally always spell the British/Canadian way, but it doesn't bother me too much to see the american way anymore.
Peter
It's interesting the issues this can raise. Here in Ontario, there's a cartoonist named Lynn Johnson who's been writing and drawing the successful family strip For Better or Worse for about 25 years now. I saw an interview with her some time ago in which she commented on the cultural pressures she's come under from certain quarters in the US. Early on, there was a lot of suggestion that the strip should be situated in the US, rather than Canada, and that she should adopt US spellings rather than Canadian ones... color for colour, check for cheque, tennis racket for tennis racquet, and so on. To her credit, she stood her ground and resisted these. The cultural differences and assumptions have led to some contention, too. A lot of papers in conservative communities in the US dropped the strip when she revealed that one of the characters, Lawrence, was gay. And she was surprised by a number of letters she got objecting to the imperialism implicit in sending Michael to school in London. Of course, what those complaining didn't realize was that she was sending Michael to London, Ontario, to the University of Western Ontario. It's not an impossible mistake to make (Archie Bunker on All In the Family lost his Christmas bonus one year by shipping an order to London, England... "who the hell ever heard of London, Ontario?" he groaned), it does reveal an interesting set of assumptions about Canadians held by some people in the States.
ReplyDelete"The cultural differences and assumptions have led to some contention, too. A lot of papers in conservative communities in the US dropped the strip when she revealed that one of the characters, Lawrence, was gay."
ReplyDeleteAmazing the state of denial these people live in. If we don't talk about them, they won't exist...
"it does reveal an interesting set of assumptions about Canadians held by some people in the States."
Well yes, but... fame. London England is rather more well known than London Ontario - the world over, not just among Americans.
There's a Brooklyn, Kansas, but if I write about Brooklyn, I don't need to say Brooklyn, New York.
"For the most part american spellings have become acceptable in Canada, except for some purists..."
ReplyDeleteI'm really going to try - so as not to be an Ugly American. I can set my spellchecker for Brit English, that will help me get in the habit.
But not until after I move!
There are differences between Canadian and Brit English. Canadian is something of a fusion of American and British. We say aluminum, rather than aluminium. Also, words like cheque and check or program and programme are used pretty interchageably. The biggest differences with US English spellings are, of course, the `u` in colour, harbour or valour and the rather recent switch from `er` to `re` in words like theatre, centre and metre. Personally, I don't care for the latter. They are French spellings of words that are pronounced differently in English and should rightfully be spelled differently.
ReplyDeleteThen it'll be a little easier. Coincidentally, I already use the spelling "theatre" - when I in theatre, it was an affectation we all used, and it stuck. Like putting the line through my 7s.
ReplyDelete