what i'm watching: vera drake

We saw the movie "Vera Drake" last night, just out on DVD. (Thank you Netflix!). I thought it was very well done. Writer and director Mike Leigh is a master at illustrating complex themes through his story, without ever using characters as billboards. Since I struggle to do that with my own writing, I know how hard it is, and I am very impressed.

I felt a deep kinship with the character Vera Drake, a working-class woman who "helps girls out," as she calls it, by terminating early pregnancies. I am very prone to this stirring feeling of solidarity, be the characters striking office-cleaners ("Bread and Roses") or Alabama bus boycotters. I believe we are all part of the same struggle - that everyone working for justice is linked, across all cultures and all times.

The movie "Vera Drake" also illustrates abortion as an act of morality and compassion. The fetus is a form of life; that much is clear. A human being in a persistent vegetative state is also a form of life. Terminating certain forms of life can be necessary, can be preferred, and can be moral.

Comments

  1. Laura, I will have to see that movie, because I am always interested in the mind-stimulating movie rather than watching the bang-em-up movies all the time. I did not hear of the movie but sounds very intriguing. Just one comment, it would be nice to finish this blog in another blog: "... of life can be necessary, can be preferred, and can be a moral." I would be interested in hearing more about your thoughts and ideas. Good luck on the transition to Canada - you know - Canada is there so Americans can have jokes ... hahaha j/k! Later locutus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ALPF, I've missed you! Thanks for the LOTD, I'll check it out later. Running off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks for your thoughts, LoB. I'll consider writing more about that statement.

    Another movie I recommend, if you haven't seen it, is Mike Leigh's "Secrets And Lies". I won't tell you what it's about, only that it's very good, poignant and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

sharia

observation

can of worms