Since we've been talking about health care in light of the recent Canadian Supreme Court decision, here is Paul Krugman's recent column about the state of the US non-system. Harry Truman tried to create a national health insurance system. Public opinion was initially on his side: Jill Quadagno's book "One Nation, Uninsured" tells us that in 1945, 75 percent of Americans favored national health insurance. If Truman had succeeded, universal coverage for everyone, not just the elderly, would today be an accepted part of the social contract. But Truman failed. Special interests, especially the American Medical Association and Southern politicians who feared that national insurance would lead to racially integrated hospitals, triumphed. Sixty years later, the patchwork system that evolved in the absence of national health insurance is unraveling. The cost of health care is exploding, the number of uninsured is growing, and corporations that still provide employee co...
I am glad to see my name in your list. I will add a link to your blog in my own one
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you're still reading me. :)
ReplyDeleteI rummaged through all the old comments, looking for your name and URL.
Happy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteI just finished catching up on your blog. I haven't been online much over the holidays. Thanks for the link!
Once again, thank you for continuing to publish such a great blog. Reading the news and then reading your blog puts a whole different slant on things, and makes me dig deeper.
ReplyDeleteIt's also made me realize that in order for Canada to stay attractive, a lot of us who are already here have to maintain a sense of gratitude, ensure we don't get lazy, and speak up as often as needed.
Keep up the great work!
Oh my. Thank you so much. Excellent observation about life in Canada. That also reminds me that I'll still be an activist up there - a good thing! Thanks again for your high praise, I'll try to live up to it.
ReplyDelete